Thursday, November 3, 2011

The things we do for love.

No one said having kids was easy, right?


Yesterday's weekly appointment was the one I had fearing. Those sonogram technicians sure are pretty good at keeping a poker face and when she left and said "I'll be back", I actually believed her. Yet, low and behold, 20 minutes later a doctor walked in and the air was sucked out of the room...


I won't get into the nitty gritty about all the things they are checking via ultrasounds, in an attempt to predict an upcoming per-term delivery, but what they found wasn't good and we needed to have a very serious conversation. Luckily Mike and I had been doing a little research on our own and were mostly prepared for the medical terms and information that were being thrown at us. So far the interventions have been no brainers: weekly hormone shots that Mike has been administering, easy enough. Weekly appointments and bloodwork to monitor changes, annoying yet possible. Last week, we had realized that we are dealing with an abnormality with the way I carry babies and today was the dreaded discussion about a minor surgical operation and immediate restricted activity and how to detect and react if I begin having contractions. GULP.


I can't even summarize the statistics that were given by the doctor regarding the link to pre- term delivery and the interventions they suggested. We walked away with the feeling that we have a 50/50 chance of having a full term baby so in the end that 50% is certainly worth the discomfort of the next few months.


So, I sit in my living room clinging to the positive thoughts on DAY 1 of my new "bed rest" adventure.


Anyone read a good book lately??  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment